Cinnamon is one of the oldest and most popular spices, as it has historical value both in flavoring and as a “medicinal” spice. We in the Young Living world often think of the essential oil blend Thieves when cinnamon comes to mind! (If you don’t already incorporate Thieves in your life, you are missing out on a fantastic health and wellness tool….. and that includes the benefits of Thieves Household Cleaner!)
You’ve heard my views here on the injectable medications Ozempic/ Wegovy / semaglutide . Nearly all medication originates from a natural form (plant, animal, mineral, etc), which man attempts (poorly) to replicate. Man will never be able to replicate the work that God has done for us….. no matter how hard he tries. One of the ways these medications work for weight loss is the extreme slowing of stomach emptying time (even to the point of acquiring a new painful digestive dysfunctional state called gastroparesis that often is not reversible when discontinuing the drug ).
Perhaps “they” attempted to model the effects of cinnamon on the body when these products were created.
Adding cinnamon to your daily regimen does so much more than support the immune system ( thank you, Thieves!). Take a look at this study, ” Effects of cinnamon on postprandial blood glucose, gastric emptying, and satiety in healthy subjects.” https://www.sciencedirect.com/…/pii/S0002916523281113…
According to this study,
cinnamon appears to reduce “after eating” blood glucose levels,
because of slowed gastric emptying…. (but again…. God is in the details…. not slow enough to cause problems).
That study above was smaller….. so if you are looking for a meta-analysis (ie: a study of studies.) Here’s one that looks at the results of 8 separate studies focusing on fasting blood sugar. ” Cinnamon intake lowers fasting blood glucose: a meta-analysis”. This study of studies suggests that cinnamon has been shown to improve (ie support the body’s efforts) to respond to insulin. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21480806/
Here’s another one….. “Cinnamon use in type 2 diabetes: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis” https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24019277/
If you are curious about learning more, there are over 350 studies related to cinnamon and blood glucose in pubmed.gov, and if you want a cliff notes version of all the goodness cinnamon offers… including some great recipes, here’s a link for you: https://1602257.lifestepseo.com/…/cinnamon-bark-spotlight
PS: to keep the FDA happy, I should also give the obligatory disclaimer….. despite the plethora of research out there… “The FDA has not evaluated these statements, and such evidence should not be construed as diagnosing, treating, curing, or preventing any disease. “
What is it about clove that makes it an Autumn favorite? It just smells and tastes like a cooler month’s season!
Good word from Seeds of Thyme . My two all-time personal favorite ways to use Frankincense are:
as an ingredient in my easy-peasy DIY face serum
as an ingredient in the most miraculous DIY “pain bomb” capsule
(ok, 3 ways!)
as an ingredient in my easy peasy all purpose nasal spray. (I’ve probably gifted a couple hundred of these bottles of amazingness over the last 10 years and taught hundreds more how to make them).
God-given goodness .
Can you believe it? We are in the final quarter of 2023. Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year, despite the fact that this time of year seems to always pick up in speed. (2024 will be here before we blink an eye! )
Young Living continues to take good care of us with these seasonally appropriate gifts with qualifying purchase, and some of my faves for free?…… YES Please!
Eucalyptus Globulus…. this is a fan favorite for its ability to effectively support an open airway breathing situation, especially when the struggle is real! (whether that be seasonally or you just need a little breathing boost ! )…. but did you know that it also appears to have a positive effect on pain an inflammatory response simply by inhaling it? (Check out this and other studies posted in the “Discover our Research” sections on the YL website: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3703330/ )
Stress Away is another personal favorite of mine! I have several open bottles strategically situated so that it’s never far from my reach. I use it for daytime management of stress. When I was working behind the counter of the pharmacy, a bottle could always be found in my lab coat. (And not infrequently, I would have co-workers borrow it ). Perfume with a purpose….. this essential oil blend has a light relaxing aroma, and it does a great job of “diffusing the situation” when used!
Bonus points for the olive wood massage tool that comes with it (if you get it as a gift w/ qualifying purchase).
Immupro! for free! This bedtime gem is packet with some of the most powerful plant based immune stimulants…. wolfberry and 3 potent mushroom species well known for their health super powers . It also contains melatonin, a naturally occurring hormone ( which our body tends to produce less of as we age and during times of stress). Melatonin is integral to health…. both for ease of sleeping and for its VIP role in immune system function. (PRO Tip: This particular product has gone out of stock in the past, and there were many “woe is me” ‘s uttered throughout the world. When you find a supplement or oil you’d prefer to not live without…… keep a few bottles on hand. We are working with nature, and sometimes nature doesn’t cooperate in the world of supply and demand . I personally keep at least 4 bottles of Immupro on hand as backup! )
Acceptance. In the last quarter of each year, it’s not uncommon to have some reflection on what was and wasn’t accomplished over the last year. It’s not a time for beating yourself up. Nothing good ever happens when you do that. True…. some things we all could have done a little better, while others are completely outside of our control. What we do have is the ability to give grace to ourselves while we regroup. Consider using this essential oil blend in your diffuser as an aromatic “reminder” during your morning quiet time, time of reflection, or time spent planning “what’s next”. Not everything is always within our control, and learning to accept that which is outside our power to change is a huge de-stressor!
Question: what is something you keep WELL stocked in your home…. because you’d be if you ever ran out?
Are you team MultiGreens or team NingXia Greens? (PS…. NingXia Greens is free this month … among other goodies, with a qualifying purchase!)
What’s the difference you say? Let’s take a look here……. (lots of info here….. the graphic is the cliff notes version , but I know some of you are like me and love deets!)
MultiGreens & NingXia Greens at a glance…
* Think of NingXia Greens as a superfood greens powder to add to smoothies, drinks, foods, etc.
* Gut and immune health-focused fruit and vegetable powder with 2–3 servings of fruits and vegetables in every scoop
* Contains a vast array of superfood fruits and vegetables, including health-supporting mushrooms
* Contains plant-based omega-3’s plus prebiotics and enzymes to aid absorption
* Each serving contains 50 fermented whole foods, five varieties of immune-supporting mushrooms, and wolfberry fruit and sprouted leaves
* Available as a powder to mix into food and drinks
* Contains the ‘MultiGreens’ essential oil blend: Rosemary, Lemon, Lemongrass, and Melissa
* Think of MultiGreens as a daily ‘salad in a bottle’ full of plants containing incredible health benefits.
* Focused liver and glandular health and supports energy and healthy iron levels
* Contains spirulina, alfalfa sprouts, barley grass, bee pollen, eleuthero, Pacific kelp, and more
* High in amino acids and chlorophyll
* Available as capsules that can be swallowed or opened and added to food and drinks
* Contains the ‘MultiGreens’ essential oil blend: Rosemary, Lemon, Lemongrass, and Melissa
But can you use both?
Yes! In the same way you’d eat multiple fruits and vegetables and a salad in a day, you can get added benefits from using MultiGreens capsules and NingXia Greens powder every day. In fact, they work well together and allow you to provide support digestion from the belly to the intestines! Support immune and gut health with NingXia Greens and energy levels, adrenal health, and liver with MultiGreens!
Formulated with superfood ingredients, greens, and premium essential oils, NingXia Greens takes the guesswork out of your nutrition needs. All you have to do is scoop, stir, and enjoy!
* NingXia wolfberry fruit powder and sprouted leaves: Also known as goji berries, wolfberries come from an ancient plant, long praised in China for its powerful health benefits.
* Maitake, reishi, turkey tail, shiitake, and enokitake mushrooms: A source of soluble fiber known as beta glucans, these mushrooms help support a healthy immune system and help prevent and repair oxidative damage. These mushrooms are high in antioxidants, vitamins (including vitamin D), and minerals and have been studied for use in cardiovascular health, cancer prevention and reducing inflammation.
* Fermented Superfood Blend: A fermented superfood blend that delivers nutrients that are difficult to obtain from a typical diet, this proprietary combination also contains enzymes to support optimal digestion.
* Purslane: An edible succulent, this ingredient is one of the few vegetables that’s rich in plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals—including copper, magnesium, iron, manganese, and potassium, vitamin E, and vitamin C. Purslane is also a uniquely rich source of 184 phytochemical compounds, including phenolic acids, alkaloids, and flavonoids, which act as antioxidants.
* Secale cereale flower pollen extract: A non-allergenic and sustainably sourced extract that contains full-spectrum nutrients such as amino acids, phytosterols, fatty acids, carotenoids, flavonoids, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes, this extract is clinically shown to display antioxidant and detoxifying capacity and maintain cellular oxidative stress through significant decrease of GSSG (oxidized glutathione).
* MultiGreens proprietary oil blend: Rosemary, Lemon, Lemongrass and Melissa essential oils
NingXia Greens full ingredient list:
Apple, Banana, Lemon, Wolfberry sprouted leaves, Alfalfa, Kale, Parsley, Broccoli, Fermented superfood blend (Grape, Brown rice, Carrot, Apple, Daikon radish, Cabbage, Celery, Cucumber, Banana, Onion, Burdock, Spinach, Pear, Orange peel, Tomato, Sweet pepper, Mung bean sprout, Eggplant, Lotus rhizome, Pumpkin, Shiitake mushroom, Ginger, Lettuce, Garlic, Japanese parsley, Udo, Asparagus, Bamboo grass, Clover, Kombu, Dandelion, Plantain, Green pea sprout, Japanese cedar, Parsley, Turnip, Pineapple, Strawberry, Knotweed, Chive, Chinese cabbage, Enokitake mushroom, Garland chrysanthemum, Mugwort, Oriental celery, Leek, Green perilla, Wakame seaweed), Chlorella, Ginger, Green pea, Maitake mushroom, Reishi mushroom, Turkey tail mushroom, Spirulina, Amla fruit, Moringa, Purslane, Wolfberry fruit, Secale cereale flower pollen extract, MultiGreens proprietary oil blend [Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) leaf oil, Lemon (Citrus limon) peel oil, Lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus) leaf oil, Melissa (Melissa officinalis) leaf and flower oil] bromelain, cellulase
HOW TO USE
* Mix 1 scoop in 4–6 ounces of water or a beverage of your choice.
* Stir 1 scoop into a protein shake made with Pure Protein Complete to support muscle recovery.
* Mix with 2 ounces of NingXia Red and 1⁄2 cup of coconut water or orange juice for a fruity, nutritious start to your day.
* Add 1 scoop to a fruit smoothie for an extra dose of fiber and plant-based omega-3s.
* Take with a probiotic like Life 9 or an enzyme complex like Essentialzymes-4 for additional daily wellness.
MultiGreens capsules benefit the body much like eating a large salad: nutrients, fiber, amino acids, and more that help the liver process everything we throw at it. MultiGreens are also great for supporting glandular health – adrenal, thyroid, pancreas – and all those greens are good for energy levels.
* Bee Pollen: high in protein, vitamins, and minerals including potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and B vitamins; supports the body’s response to inflammation and helps protect the liver; full of antioxidants including flavonoids, carotenoids, quercetin, kaempferol and glutathione
* Barley Grass: a nutrient-rich superfood loaded with vitamins A, C, E, and K as well as B vitamins and antioxidants
* Insoluble fiber: feeds the good bacteria in the gut, helping with digestion and intestinal health.
* Spirulina: a source of chlorophyll, antioxidants, and magnesium that protects against oxidative damage
* Choline: an essential micronutrient necessary for numerous bodily processes including nerve function, cholesterol processing, brain development, muscle mobility, and liver function
* Eleuthero root: an adaptogenic herb that soothes cortisol and boosts the body’s resistance to stress
* Alfalfa leaf: high in chlorophyll, calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, vitamins C and K
* Pacific Kelp: contains iodine vitamins, minerals and antioxidants – all of which are vital for a healthy thyroid and hormone balance and function
* Amino acids L-arginine, L-cysteine, and L-tyrosine: help the body with proper circulation, cellular metabolism, liver function and production of dopamine and serotonin.
* Rosemary essential oil: helps balance the endocrine system and cleanse the liver
* Lemon essential oil: high in limonene, a constituent known to strengthen the immune system
* Lemongrass essential oil: a highly cleansing oil that supports the liver
* Melissa essential oil: supports healthy intestinal bacterial balance, the body’s response to inflammation, and overall health
MultiGreens ingredient list:
Bee pollen, Barley (Hordeum vulgare) grass juice powder, Spirulina (Spirulina platensis), Choline (as choline bitartrate), Eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticosus) root, Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) aerial parts extract, Kelp (Laminaria Digital) whole thallus MultiGreens Oil Blend: Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) leaf oil, Lemon (Citrus limon)† peel oil, Lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus) leaf oil, Melissa (Melissa officinalis) leaf/flower oil, Amino acid complex (L-Arginine, L-Cysteine, L-Tyrosine) Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Silicon dioxide